Amazon

Sunday, January 4, 2009

Not-for-profit jobs growing in U.S.

I've written here before about non-profits and not-for-profits and why I'd like to work at one. I expanded on that idea for this WalletPop story about how not-for-profits need more workers than for-profit businesses, and how they pay a little more. Interesting stuff from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, one of my favorite places to get job data.

Due to time constraints, I recently had to stop volunteering at a nonprofit, The Public Press in San Francisco. But I'm still volunteering at RedwoodAge.com, although it's not a non-profit. With unemployment about to run out and more part-time work slowly coming in, along with the need to still find full-time work, I just didn't have the time to volunteer at the Public Press as I had hoped. As you'll see from the WalletPop story, many low-paying jobs that would normally be done at a not-for-profit are instead done by volunteers for free. I can't afford that, for now.

I've also got one less part-time job than I did last year. I was going to start doing some investigative work for a company that does background checks on new hires, but their work has slowed down and I won't be needed as much as I had hoped. They still might call on me to track down some public records, but I'm not expecting much during the recession and less hiring going on at companies.

However, I added another part-time job writing press releases for a local non-profit, and will discuss it here soon once I'm certain it will be a long-term relationship. I was given a tryout recently and wrote a short press release, which I got in local papers and some online sites, and I think I did well enough to warrant more writing for them. So at least with every minus, a plus comes along.





This tale was brought to you by
talesofanunemployeddad.blogspot.com

No comments: