Amazon

Friday, January 9, 2009

Ugly unemployment figures


Unemployment figures were released today, and they're bleaker than the previous month and about to get worse. The 7.2 percent unemployment rate in December is a 16-year-high and the 2.6 million jobs lost in 2008 were the most since 1945. Time for an economic stimulus.
In another effort to find a job, I'm going to the Commonwealth Club's panel discussion and job fair on Jan. 26 about "Getting Your Green Dream Job." Maybe green industries will get some of the next president's economic stimulus package and I can find work there. It's a growing field that I'd like to be a part of.
I tried to make the green movement a little more personal by getting a bid from a contractor today for solar power. Since we don't use much energy, it looks like the cost won't pencil out for our house. We also have a small roof that is shaded, so it doesn't get optimal sunlight. I'll explain all this and more when I write the Spot.us story on solar power soon. I'm still doing the reporting for it. Contribute now and help keep me out of the soup line.






This tale was brought to you by
talesofanunemployeddad.blogspot.com

No comments: